Have you ever wondered what would happen if you crossed a towering Great Dane with a tiny Chihuahua? Well, wonder no more! These unique dogs combine the best traits from both of their parent breeds, making them excellent companions.
An Overview of Great Dane Chihuahua Mixes
A Great Dane Chihuahua mix is exactly what it sounds like – a cross between a purebred Great Dane and a purebred Chihuahua. Also called Chi Danes or Great Mexican Dogs, these hybrids exhibit an amusing mix of characteristics from their parent breeds.
These designer dogs tend to have the Chihuahua’s large, upright ears and the Great Dane’s long, tapered muzzle. Their bodies are proportional, muscular and athletic. Great Dane Chihuahua mixes can live between 10 to 13 years.
The History of Chi-Dane-Danes
The Great Dane Chihuahua mix is one of the newer designer hybrid dog breeds. There isn’t much documented history about when or why this crossbreed was first developed.
However, we do know quite a bit about the origin of the parent breeds. Chihuahuas trace their lineage back to ancient Mexico, where they were companions to the Toltec civilization. Great Danes originated in Germany, where they were bred to hunt wild boar.
It’s likely that Great Dane Chihuahua mixes were first intentionally bred within the last 20-30 years. They were probably created by breeders seeking to combine the tiny Chihuahua’s big personality with the Great Dane’s loving loyalty.
The Personality of Great Dane Chihuahua Crosses
One of the most appealing traits of the Great Dane Chihuahua mix is their unique personality. Their temperament combines qualities from both parental breeds.
From the Chihuahua, Great Dane mixes inherit boldness, sass, and a larger than life attitude. They tend to be lively, outgoing and thirsty for adventure. On the other hand, the Great Dane influence makes them devoted, calm, and eager to please their owners.
Proper socialization is important for Chi Danes when they are puppies. This helps prevent them from becoming overly suspicious of strangers like some Chihuahuas. Well-socialized Great Dane Chihuahua mixes are extremely friendly and affectionate to everyone they meet.
Great Dane Chihuahua mixes usually get along very well with children and other pets, especially if they are raised together from a young age. They form deep bonds with their families. Many Great Dane Chihuahua parents say their dogs follow them from room to room just to be near them.
Caring for a Chi-Dane-Dane
Caring for a Great Dane Chihuahua mix is relatively easy compared to other hybrids. They adapt well to any home, including apartments. Chi Danes do not require a lot of intensive exercise. A couple of brisk daily walks plus some active indoor playtime is usually sufficient.
Their small to medium size means they do not eat huge amounts of food. High quality kibble formulated for medium or large-breed dogs is a good nutritional choice. Keep in mind that Great Dane mixes are prone to obesity, so limit treats and monitor their weight.
These hybrids do shed seasonally. Weekly brushing will help keep loose hair under control. Their floppy ears should also be checked and cleaned regularly. Dental care is important to maintain their oral health.
Chi Danes are quite healthy overall, but responsible breeders screen their breeding dogs for genetic issues like hip dysplasia and heart disease. A Great Dane Chihuahua mix who is fed a healthy diet, exercised appropriately and well cared for can live a long, fulfilled life.
Is a Great Dane Chihuahua Mix the Right Dog For You?
If you want a devoted, fun-loving dog who will stick to you like glue, the Great Dane Chihuahua mix may be an ideal choice. Chi Danes have moderate exercise needs and only moderate grooming requirements.
This crossbreed gets along beautifully with children and other pets. They inherit the Chihuahua’s boldness and sass along with the Great Dane’s legendary loyalty and calm nature. Great Dane Chihuahua mixes make wonderful companions for all types of families.
Interested in adding one of these unique hybrids to your home? Be sure to adopt from a responsible breeder who health tests their breeding dogs. Pet adoption is also a great way to find your perfect Great Dane Chihuahua mix. With their winning combination of positive traits from both parental breeds, it’s no wonder these dogs are gaining popularity!
Health issues that Great Dane Chihuahua mixes may face?
Here are some common health issues that Great Dane Chihuahua mixes may face:
- Hip Dysplasia – Large breed dogs like Great Danes are prone to hip dysplasia, which is an abnormal formation of the hip joint that causes pain and mobility issues. Chihuahuas can also suffer from this condition. Responsible breeders will screen breeding dogs for hip dysplasia.
- Heart Disease – Both Chihuahuas and Great Danes are at risk for genetic heart conditions like pulmonic stenosis, cardiomyopathy, and mitral valve disease. Reputable breeders will have their dog’s hearts cleared by a canine cardiologist before breeding.
- Hypoglycemia – Chihuahuas are prone to low blood sugar, especially as puppies. Their small size makes them susceptible. Owners of Chihuahua mixes like the Chi Dane should keep an eye out for signs of hypoglycemia.
- Collapsing Trachea – The delicate windpipe of the Chihuahua can be a problem. Coughing, gagging, and fainting episodes may indicate a collapsing trachea in a Chi Dane.
- Digestive Issues – Thanks to their small stature, Chihuahuas are prone to difficulties like gastroesophageal reflux and inflammatory bowel disease. These conditions could be passed down to a Chi Dane.
- Eye Conditions – Great Danes often suffer from eyelid abnormalities and glaucoma. Chihuahuas can develop lens luxation and dry eye. A Chi Dane may inherit eye problems affecting either breed.
Here are some dietary recommendations for Great Dane Chihuahua mixes:
- High-Quality Kibble – Pick a brand formulated for medium/large breed dogs with high protein levels to support their muscle mass. Avoid kibble with fillers.
- Monitor Portions – Don’t overfeed them. Stick to recommended serving sizes on the kibble package and adjust based on your dog’s weight. These mixes are prone to obesity.
- Probiotics – Chihuahuas are prone to digestive issues, so a probiotic supplement can help. Look for one with strains like lactobacillus.
- Joint Supplements – Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements can help maintain healthy joints and hips. Important for big breeds like Great Danes.
- Omega Fatty Acids – Fish oil is a great source of omega-3s which reduce inflammation. Helpful for joint and heart health.
- Limited Treats – Avoid too many fatty or sugary treats. Stick to healthy options like fruits, veggies, lean meats, and low-fat dairy.
- Feed Multiple Small Meals – 2-3 smaller meals a day instead of one large one can help prevent bloat.
- Monitor for Food Allergies – Chihuahuas are prone to food allergies. If symptoms arise, try an elimination diet.
- Fresh Water – Always provide ample fresh, clean drinking water. Consider getting a fountain if your dog doesn’t drink enough.
Downsides and Challenges for Great Dane and Chihuahua Mix
Here are some potential downsides and challenges to consider with a Great Dane and Chihuahua mix:
- Size disparity – The size difference between the parent breeds can make breeding difficult and may result in pregnancy complications. Puppies could be born very small or large.
- Health issues – Both breeds are prone to certain genetic health problems that could be passed on, like hip dysplasia, heart conditions, collapsing trachea, etc. Thorough health screening of parents is important.
- Chihuahua temperament – Chihuahuas are known for being feisty, stubborn, and wary of strangers. These traits could carry over and be challenging to manage in a giant breed.
- Great Dane temperament – Great Danes may display prey drive towards smaller pets or have a high energy level that is hard to meet.
- Training difficulties – The Chihuahua influence could result in an independent, strong-willed mix that may be stubborn to train. Positive reinforcement is a must.
- Size differences in one litter – With such disparate parent breeds, there is a chance of large variations in size between pups in a litter.
- Potential birthing complications – The huge size difference means breeding carries risks like difficult births requiring c-sections. Only experienced breeders should attempt it.
- Little breed history – This is still a very new, uncommon mix without much-documented history available about their origins, temperament, health, etc.
High-quality kibble for this mix
Here are some recommended high-quality kibble brands for Great Dane Chihuahua mixes:
Wellness Core Original
Wellness Core Original is an all-natural, grain-free dog food made in the USA with premium proteins and probiotics. With 34% protein and the first ingredients as deboned chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal, this kibble provides muscle support. It comes in different sizes to suit any dog’s needs.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula contains no chicken by-products, corn, wheat or soy and is made with only the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It has antioxidants, omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, and glucosamine to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and healthy joints.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream grain-free formula provides optimal protein and fat from salmon and ocean fish meal as well as fruits and vegetables for natural antioxidants. It delivers amino acids to support lean, strong muscles and omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
Merrick Grain Free Real Chicken + Sweet Potato
Merrick Grain Free Real Chicken + Sweet Potato recipe has deboned chicken as the first ingredient and sweet potatoes for digestible carbohydrates. It is packed with 70% meat proteins like chicken, turkey, and salmon plus fruits and veggies for natural nutrients dogs need.
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Perfect Weight
Clinically proven nutrition with controlled calories helps maintain ideal body condition in the Hill’s Science Diet Adult Perfect Weight recipe. It has precise balance of proteins and fiber to promote healthy weight and lean muscle.
Do check out The Captivating Redbone Coonhound Labrador Mix
- Great Dane Mix – AZ Animals (a-z-animals.com)